Jenni Rivera, La Gran Señora, opening on May 12, 2013. (grammymuseum.org)
OPENING MAY 12, 2013
The GRAMMY Museum
, in cooperation with the family of Jenni Rivera,
will debut a new exhibition, Jenni Rivera, La Gran Señora, opening on May 12, 2013.
The exhibit, opening on Mother's Day, will focus on Rivera as the “Diva of Banda”
– serving as a musical powerhouse due to her work within the banda and norteña music genres. The exhibit will also illustrate how Rivera used her music and celebrity to abolish female stereotypes that existed in Mexican music for many years. The exhibit will be on display until May 2014 on the museum's third floor.
Having sold over 20 million albums worldwide and the winner of various Gold and Platinum records certified by the RIAA, Jenni Rivera was the female leader of the banda genre. Throughout her career, “The Diva of Banda” enjoyed a legion of loyal fans made up of a multi-generational audience that continues to admire her talent and musical integrity. Since her untimely death on December 9, 2012, sales of all her records have tripled. She earned nominations at the 2003, 2008 and 2010 Latin GRAMMYs and became the first female Banda artist to sell-out two back-to-back nights at the Nokia Theatre in Los Angeles on August 6, 2010 and August 7, 2010. Leveraging her influence in the recording industry as well as her many businesses endeavors, Rivera also expanded her multi-media presence with her reality series “I Love Jenni” on Telemundo's bilingual cable network, mun2.
Bringing together a collection of diverse artifacts, rare photographs and more, the exhibit features items from the private collection of the Rivera family. On display, visitors will see a broad array of items including:
• Stage costumes worn by Rivera, including the famous tan and lace dress worn at the Teatro de Mexico
• Rivera's personal bible, license and credit cards
• Rare photographs of Rivera both on and off stage
• Handwritten notes and award trophies
• Ticket stubs, concert posters, tour books and fan memorabilia
• Video footage from live performances and television appearances
• And much more!