1. It's a great dinner party: The Beverly Hilton chefs this time will serve grilled eggplant, hummus and artichoke. The main course is surf ‘n' turf: spice-crusted braised beef short ribs and sautéed smoked filet of Atlantic trout, Dessert is a tropical compote with chocolate.
2. It's a perfect place to network: Doing deals is Hollywood's No. 1 pastime. Leonardo DiCaprio can sit with Steven Spielberg. Vanessa Hudgens could nosh with David O. Russell. The atmosphere is relaxed. Everyone is in a good mood (see reference to wine in No. 1). Everyone can talk about their next project. Nobody is as nervous as they will be at the Oscars.
3. There's a red carpet: The perfect excuse for looking their best. Fashion designers beg actresses to wear their gowns and actors get free tuxedos delivered by messenger. They can wear millions in jewelry without buying any of it. The photos will look great. Almost makes up for the paparazzi shots of stars in gym shorts and no makeup. (Red Carpet TV coverage starts at 1 p.m. on E!)
4. They get to laugh a lot — maybe at themselves: Saturday Night Live alumnae Amy Poehler and Tina Fey are very funny women, and the Globes audience at last year's awards fell in love with their smart aleck jokes, parodies and drinking games. Nobody is allowed to take any of this seriously, although there will be a somber memorial for those who died last year. Other than that, it's fun.
5. Does winning a Golden Globe matter?: Sure. More people will go see winning movies and tune into winning TV shows, and that means more money for everyone involved in the production. Awards are a numbers game, and there are bragging rights for those who have the most. Of course, winners will have to find room on the fireplace mantel for those dust-catching statuettes.
— Catherine Gaugh