In order to get you into the holiday spirit, Maria Zoitas, creator of “Maria's Homemade” line of prepared food sold exclusively at Westside Market NYC, has prepared a variety of dishes that will have you seeing “green”.
Each of Maria's green-themed recipes are not only delicious, they are also easy-to-prepare.
Allen Dikker, founder of Potatopia, an all-potato concept restaurant with locations in New York and New Jersey, had a bit of luck and created a Corned Beef Shepherd's Pie that is perfect for a St. Paddy's party can be easily made even after March 17th.
· Spinach and Artichoke Hummus
· Mixed Greens Salad
· Spinach Lasagna
· Corned Beef Shepherd's Pie
Spinach and Artichoke Hummus
· 2- 15.5 oz. cans of chickpeas.
· 8 oz. artichoke hearts
· ½ Lb. baby spinach
· 3 oz. sesame tahini
· 3 oz. lemon juice
· 8 oz. extra virgin olive oil
· 1.5 teaspoon kosher salt
· ¼ cup chopped cilantro
· 1 Teaspoon granulated garlic
· ¼ Teaspoon white pepper
· In a food processor puree all the ingredients to make a thick mixture.
· Serve dish at room temperature with your favorite pita bread chips.
artichoke spinach dip 02.JPG
Mixed Greens Salad (6 – 8 Servings)
· Juice of 1 orange
· 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
· ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
· Salt and pepper
· 1, 11-ounce package mixed baby greens
· 12 fresh figs, halved
· ¼ cup toasted pecans
· 4 ounces blue cheese, in pieces
· ½ cup raspberries
· Whisk together juice, vinegar, oil, salt and pepper in salad bowl.
· Add the greens and toss well.
· Divide salad among 4 plates and top with figs, pecans, cheese and raspberries.
artichoke spinach dip 02.
· 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
· ½ onion, chopped
· 2 garlic cloves, crushed
· ½ teaspoon dried oregano
· ½ teaspoon dried basil
· 2, 10-ounce packages frozen chopped spinach, defrosted and squeezed of excess water
· 2 cups non-fat cottage cheese
· 8 ounces part skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
· ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
· ½ cup chopped parsley
· 1 teaspoon salt
· 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
· 1 large egg
· 8 ounces no-boil lasagna noodles
· Preheat oven to 350 F.
· Heat olive oil in skillet. Add onion and garlic, sauté for 2 minutes.
· Add spinach, oregano and basil. In a large bowl mix cottage cheese, mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses with parsley, salt, pepper and egg.
· Spread ½ spinach mixture in 8 x 8-inch ovenproof baking dish.
· Spread ½ cheese mixture on top.
· Add one layer of lasagna noodles. Repeat.
· Cover with foil and bake for 35 to 40 minutes.
· Remove foil and bake another 15 minutes.
· Let dish sit 10 minutes before serving.
Corned Beef Shepherd's Pie
For the Mashed Potatoes:
· Red bliss potato (17-20 baby reds)
· 1-2 Tbl spoons of butter
· 1/2 tbl spoon of salt
· 1/2 cup of cream (could do more depending on how smooth you want it)
1. Cut the red potatoes in quarters (I prefer skin on) and drop them into cold water to boil with a drizzle of salt for about 15-20 minutes. Until a fork easily pokes through
2. Start mashing with a masher or potato ricer.
3. Add the butter and heat the cream quickly, add salt and start stirring all together.
4. This could be done as early as a day before.
For the Corned Beef:
· 1 large size brisket with spices
· 3 sticks of carrot
· 3 sticks of celery
· 1/2 of cabbage
· 2 whole onions
· 1 whole garlic bunch
· 1/4 cup of olive oil
· 3- 5 cups of water
· Salt pepper
1. Cut the carrot, celery, and onion in bite size squares.
2. Add the olive oil in a dutch pot until heated, add the celery, carrots, onion and season with salt and pepper and stir well together to slightly wilted and browned.
3. Cut the bottom of the garlic bunch with the skin on and toss in the pot stir well.
4. Lay the brisket with spices on top of the vegetables and add the water.
5. Cover the pot bring to boil on high and once reached temperature lower to simmer for 2 1/2 hours
6. After 2 hours add cabbage
7. Once finished let sit for 5 - 10 minutes before cutting.
8. Cut into bite size cubes and mix together with the vegetables
For the casserole:
1. Set the oven to 375 degrees
2. Use a 12inch diameter dish pour in the corned beef mixture
3. Add the mashed potatoes on top and spread to cover the dish.
4. Put into oven for 15 - 20 minutes
5. Optional is to add sharp cheddar cheese on top and broil at the end to brown the top.
6. Once finished, optional, crush salt and vinegar potato chips on top with fresh cut parsley.
7. Dip into a spicy brown mustard or optional a cabbage salad mixed with in a spicy mustard vinaigrette dressing.