One of the most powerful singing voices of Heavy Metal Music,Ronnie James Dio is being honored with the "This Is Your Life" tribute album.
The album is an all-start tribute in honor of the late singer and songwriter who fronted Rainbow, Black Sabbath and Dio during his long musical career.
To celebrate one of rock's most towering voice, an all-star group of his friends and fans recorded 13 of their favorite tracks for a tribute album that will raise funds for the Ronnie James Dio Stand Up and Shout Cancer Fund (diocancerfund.org). Produced by his longtime manager and wife Wendy Dio, the album includes contributions by such metal heavyweights as Metallica, Motörhead, Scorpions, Anthrax, and Rob Halford, as well as appearances by many of the musicians who performed with Dio over the years.
Wendy Dio, (Ronnie's wife) headed up the project two years ago," I started thinking about it two and half years ago, and I thought it would be great to put a tribute record together to keep Ronnie's music and his legacy alive and to raise some money and awareness for cancer.
I started thinking about who would be friends of Ronnie's that would like to be on it like to be on it. I asked a few people, and Glenn Hughs
Hughes (Deep Purple) is the first one that went in and said, "Absolutely." He recorded "Catch the Rainbow," and also sang it at the private funeral for Ronnie and at the memorial.
Rob Halford (Judas Priest), covers "Man on the Silver Mountain" (Rainbow's first single) and gives an absolutlely hellacious version of the tune.
Metallica's epic, nine-minute “Ronnie Rising Medley,” which combines the Rainbow songs “A Light In The Black,” “Tarot Woman,” “Stargazer,” and “Kill The King.” .
Anthrax, Adrenaline Mob and Cory Taylor kicks ass on the tribute album (are also on the record).
This Is Your Life also includes songs from Dio's back-to-back platinum albums Holy Diver (1983) and The Last In Line (1984), with Doro's awesome take on “Egypt (The Chains Are On)”, Halestorm tackling “Straight Through The Heart (awesome!!),” Corey Taylor (Stone Sour, Slipknot) has been kicking -ass with impressive covers lately, his version of the classic “Rainbow In The Dark” hit the high notes (also at BASS PLAYER LIVE) and Tenacious D (Jack Black and Kyle Glass) putting their signature spin on “The Last In Line.” Killswitch Engage's cover of “Holy Diver,” a hit in its own right when released in 2006, is also included here.
Ronnie James Dio provides the finale (and the album's title) with his moving performance of “This Is Your Life.” Originally released on Angry Machines (1996), the song's lyrics explore mortality and are backed by a stark and beautiful arrangement that features Dio accompanied only by his longtime keyboardist Scott Warren on piano. The song serves as a poignant reminder that we will never hear a voice like Dio's again.
An album that is worthy of being in your collection and worthy of being called a tribute to Ronnie James Dio.
RONNIE JAMES DIO: This Is Your Life Track Listing:
1. “Neon Knights” – Anthrax*
2. “The Last In Line” – Tenacious D*
3. “The Mob Rules” – Adrenaline Mob
4. “Rainbow In The Dark” – Corey Taylor, Roy Mayorga, Satchel, Christian Martucci, Jason Christopher*
5. “Straight Through The Heart” – Halestorm*
6. “Starstruck” – Motörhead with Biff Byford*
7. “The Temple Of The King” – Scorpions*
8. “Egypt (The Chains Are On)” – Doro
9. “Holy Diver” – Killswitch Engage
10. “Catch The Rainbow” – Glenn Hughes, Simon Wright, Craig Goldy, Rudy Sarzo, Scott Warren*
11. “I” – Oni Logan, Jimmy Bain, Rowan Robertson, Brian Tichy*
12. “Man On The Silver Mountain” – Rob Halford, Vinny Appice, Doug Aldrich, Jeff Pilson, Scott Warren*
13. “Ronnie Rising Medley (Featuring A Light In The Black, Tarot Woman, Stargazer, Kill The King)” – Metallica*
14. “This Is Your Life” – Dio
* Previously unreleased
Buy now on Amazon.com
Buy now on https://itunes.apple.com/us